This post contains affiliate links you can use to purchase the book. If you buy the book using that link, I will receive a small commission from the sale.
The first list I wrote up was published in March of 2016 – best books – it’s interesting how the list doesn’t change all that much. After all, if the book is the best I’ve ever read, then it should remain the best book.
Best Books I’ve Read of All Time
On the list last time, and still in my “bests” list:
- The Stand (believe it or not, nhttp://amzn.to/2u8exAPot reviewed by me) by Stephen King
- Under the Dome (review) by Stephen King
- Hunger Games / Harry Potter series
- Stranger in a Strange Land by classic sci-fi writer, Robert Heinlein
- Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
- you’ve seen the movie, have you read the book? the Princess Bride by William Goldman (and have you seen this fun page spotting the differences between the book and the movie?)
- the Color Purple – why didn’t I think of this book last time? If you’ve never read it – you should. If you’ve never seen the mini series, you should.
- Roots – there’s a lot of controversy surrounding this book, but this is the book that helped explain the horrors of slavery to me, as a pretty dumb white kid being educated in a small, rural town in MA. There’s TWO mini series based upon the book – I think the newest version (I think it’s still available on hulu) is more “historically accurate”, but both are good. I can’t say it’s “enjoyable” because who would enjoy watching the cruelities portrayed?
Fallen off the list:
- the Pillars of the Earth & World Without End by Ken Follett- still favorites, but the best I’ve ever read? Nah
- Time Enough for Love (Robert Heinlein) – I still really love this book, but again, is it the best ever? Nah….